1947... Omena's summer community was in full swing again after the years of war and wartime gas rationing that kept many cottagers from traveling each summer. Several young members of the cottage community were avid sailors and formed a yacht club. The new club members rented the Omena Pavilion from Hector Carmichael for the sum of one dollar, which allowed them a place to meet for both the summers of 1947 and 1948. From there the Omena-Traverse Yacht Club was formed and organized as a Michigan corporation. By 1949 the club numbered 39 members who raised funds to purchase the building for $2,000. It's a tribute to those founders that the club continues to operate under many of the guidelines set those many years ago. To learn about the club's first 50 years click here.